Interior doors are not only a functional element of the interior, but also an important design detail that can create a certain style and mood in your home. To find out how to choose the right doors for different rooms, what types and materials exist, how to decorate and update them with your own hands, read our article.
Types and materials
The modern market offers a huge selection of interior doors of various types, materials, colors and shapes. When choosing, it is necessary to pay attention to their appearance, but also quality, durability, wearability, sound and heat insulation, as well as compliance with the general style of the interior.
One of the main selection criteria is the design type. The most common are swing doors, which consist of one or two door-wings attached to hinges. These doors are easy to install and use, but require enough space to open.
An alternative to swing doors can be sliding doors, which save space and create the effect of lightness and spaciousness. Sliding doors can be intra-wall (compartment) or overlay (paneled). In the first case, the door leaf is hidden in a special niche in the wall, in the second case it moves along the guides along the wall.
Another option is folding (accordion) doors, which consist of several sections connected by hinges. They have a collapsible sidebar and are suitable for small openings.
You can also choose swinging (half lite) doors that are attached to special spring hinges and can open in both directions. They are convenient for walk-through rooms, such as the kitchen or living room.
The best styles and approaches for glass doors
- Frosted. This is one of the most popular and versatile options for interior doors. Frosted glass provides opacity and privacy, but it does not darken the room. It can be white, bronze or another color, as well as decorated with drawings or inscriptions.
- Tempered. This is a very durable and safe material for doors that does not break when hit or dropped. Tempered glass can be transparent or colored, and also have a different texture or relief. It is suitable for modern and minimalistic interiors.
- Sliding doors. This is a convenient and practical way to save space in small rooms. Sliding doors can be made of solid glass or combined with other materials, such as wood or metal. They can be single-leaf or double-leaf, and also have different opening systems.
- Pendulum. This is an original and unusual type of door that opens in both directions by pressing the handle or pushing. Pendulum doors can be made of transparent or frosted glass, as well as have different shapes and sizes. They are suitable for the kitchen, living room or hallway.
- Radius. It is an elegant type of door that has a curved shape, which gives the door elegance and grace. Radius doors can be made of glass, wood or MDF, as well as have different finishes and decor. They are suitable for classic and modern interiors.
- Fusing glass. This is a special kind of glass that is created by merging colored pieces of glass into one. Fusing glass has a unique pattern and color that is not repeated in any other door. It can be used for the entire door leaf, as well as for inserts or stained glass windows. Fusing glass is suitable for original and non-standard interiors.
- Sandblasted glass. This is a way to create a matte or relief pattern on glass using a directed flow of sand under high pressure. It can have various patterns, ornaments or inscriptions that give the door personality and character. Sandblasted glass can be combined with transparent or colored glass.
- Glass with photo print. This is a technology for applying images to glass using a special paint and UV lamp. It allows you to create realistic or abstract pictures on doors that do not fade with time. Glass with photo print can be used both for the entire door leaf and for individual elements.
- Loft doors. These are fashionable and modern doors that combine glass and metal. Loft doors have a simple and concise shape, and also imitate old factory windows or partitions. They can be sliding or swinging, and also have different width and height of the frame. Loft doors are suitable for loft style, industrial or Scandinavian styles.
- Wooden doors with stained glass windows. These are traditional and cozy doors that combine natural wood and colorful glass inserts. Wooden doors with stained glass windows can be made of different types of wood, as well as have different finishes and carvings. Stained glass windows can be geometric or figured, and also have a different color scheme and degree of transparency.
As you can see, the choice and design of interior doors is not such an easy task as it seems at first. It is necessary to consider many factors and nuances in order to choose the best option for your home. We hope that our article will help you in this and inspire you to create a cozy and beautiful interior.